Help.. Totally Didn't Understand the Example

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Hello,

I downloaded the library and the attached example and did a review of some code.
How do I get started with this library??
The example isn't so complexed but rather a little messy..  GraphApiFilter, Code Folder, Database (why the hell do I need a database?), etc.

Can someone help me with that and give a short guide how can I make REST API Calls, Graph Api Calls and Authentication?

Thanks a lot!!
Lidan.

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Lidan,

To get started with FaceSharp you may want to start with some of the documentation.

The documentation and examples are continuously evolving, your feedback is welcome.

http://facesharp.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Developer%20Guide&referringTitle=Documentation
Sep 6, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Thanks simnova for your quick response!

Of course I read the guides before posting my question..

I reviewed the getting started guide with the example application, but I didn't understand why do i need a database for that application, and what is the purpose for all the classes inside the "Code" folder (what is important and relevant for each facebook application, and what is specific customized for that example)

The only thing I need is to make API Calls- Rest or graph, it doesn't matter.

Which are the library files I need to copy to my project folder and what is the basic configuration for a FaceSharp-Based application?

Thanks again :)

Lidan.

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Lidan,

Tonight I'll do come code cleanup and add more documentation to help clear things up. I'll post back here once I'm finished up and hopefully it will help you out.

-Patrick.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Lidan,

The Facebook API code has been updated and should be a little cleaner, the documentation will be updated shortly to reflect these changes. The next step will likely be to separate the core API functionality into its own assembly separating it from the rest of the project.

Your feedback is welcome.

-Patrick.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Great! I'll check it out soon.

Thanks

Lidan

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Also, why the sql dependency in a test project?  I certainly appreciate the C# API, however, I don't want to spend any time setting this up.  I just want a simple API call to retrieve the userid and email for an example to get me started.

thanks,

Rob

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Rob,

I'll work on putting together some examples that better fit your use case. From what I gather you want to add Facebook functionality (wall posts, inviting friends to join etc) into an existing website where you already have registered users.

Any further details you can provide will help me ensure that FaceSharp will work for you.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Patrick.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Thanks, Patrick.  I am looking for very clean way to call the facebook Graph API via C# on the serverside to do the list of items below.  I don't care what type of return object is sent but I don't like having to specify a redirect url.  I'm hoping that these calls are request/ response.  Ultimately, I would like to create an HttpWebRequest object, send the data and retrieve a response.  I also want to protect myself from the frequent API updates and breaking changes that Facebook seems to make with their API... this type of thing is just horrible.  Maybe I need to get myself on the API notification list.

Server Side calls:

• Call to retrieve the User's data including email (I know that I need to request permission)
  • call to request permission
  • call to post a status update
  • call to retrieve friend's list
  • call to send an email to the user's friends
  • call to send a "like"

I am also wondering if the FaceSharp API is using the cookie provided by the login button or not.  I'm assuming that is how to retrieve the user's Facebook id.  One question, in the cookie that is returned after clicking the facebook login button on my site, do I need to exchange the Access_Code value in the cookie for another access code?  I got confused with the client side API calls and OAuth that required me to exchange the access code I received in the login cookie for a new access_code using call backs (I hate the concept of callbacks, I would rather use a request response paradigm) and some code values I had to pick out of the callback url.

thanks so much,

Rob